Sunday, December 19, 2010

New Family, New Traditions

Kate and Tess - Christmas 1993

One of the many reasons Seth and I are so excited to get married is that we will finally be our own little micro-family! Especially since as a new family, we get to start creating our own goals, dreams and traditions.


I’ve been thinking a lot about new (and old) traditions lately especially since it is the Christmas season! Mostly I have been trying to think of ways that Seth and I can start off our first Christmas (next Christmas!) focusing less on gifts and presents, and more of the spirit and joy I feel Christmas really symbolizes in my heart. Of course, it is very hard, growing up in such a consumerist culture and in homes where my parents were very generous (sometimes maybe too generous!) in their gift giving. I know that I have been engrained to want that, to almost need that on Christmas morning. But along with the presents come other feelings we all know of, including guilt of overspending (or underspending), stress of finances, disappointment if presents aren’t what you expected, and jealousy of others in your family, or even of other families. Choosing to go anti-consumerism on the largest consumerist holiday of the year though is very challenging and I know I have a lot of mixed feelings this venture. I’m hoping though that by focusing on those happy aspects, the joy and love that the symbol of Christmas was founded on, we can celebrate Christmas year after year maximizing the good feelings, minimizing the negative emotions and trying to stay out of debt.

On a brighter note, there are lots of Christmas traditions that whether they include gift giving or not, are fun, happy ways to spread love and cheer to loved ones Christmas morning.

At my mom’s house, everyone gets to open one present Christmas Eve. We don’t get to pick the present, it’s already picked out for us, and it’s always the same: a new pair of pajamas! 


 Joselyn, Kate and I Christmas Morning in our new Pajamas

They are always so comfy to go to bed in at night and to wake up in the next morning! At my dad's house we have started baking and decorating cookies on Christmas Eve! 



It's a super fun and delicious way to hang out with family, plus afterwards we usually play a board game or two :)

What are some of your favorite family traditions? Anything you think Seth and I should try out next year for our first?

Lots of Love,
-Seth & Tessa

p.s. Anyone can comment, even without a username on all the posts :)

2 comments:

  1. man, I'm having an annoying Christmas this year. My family is always doing something different every year and this year they won't even be in the country. I follow my MIL's rules when we're at Luke's folks house... so I get no say or ownership over my Christmas.
    I've taken to making little sexy treats for Luke every Christmas. I made him a pinup girl calendar in 2007... and this year I took some sexy shots of me in vintage lace lingerie and a vintage fur shrug.
    We tried to start a tradition of going and cutting down our own tree... that last one year. This year we aren't even having a tree... sorry for being such a downer. I'm sure you guys will find magical Christmas traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that whenever the kids bring their significant others to spend Christmas with us, we can carry on our traditions and they bring their traditions with them, so they feel at home with us as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete